Monday, June 23, 2008

The Joy of the Unexpected

One of the great things about having a 3 year old are the surprises we receive. For instance, yesterday Kristi went to open our downstairs bathroom door last night but discovered it was locked. Anwyn had locked the door then shut it. The door knob takes a key so we tried all the ones we had around and nothing worked. "Great," we said. So I got a hammer and screwdriver and knocked the hinge pins out to try and take the door off. I realized that that wouldn't work because of the design of the hinges - nothing looked like it was going to work. I wasn't sure where my lockpick was and we didn't want to have to call a locksmith. I tried sticking a flat-head screwdriver against the catch while trying to scoot it back in the door - that worked! Yep, 3 year olds sure are good at surprising us. Thankfully as parents we're usually smart or creative enough to cope with the surprises.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you got it open! Was Anwyn inside the bathroom--or was it just a locked door?

A few months ago Caroline went into a bathroom and pulled out a drawer that kept us from opening the door more than 1/2 inch. Thankfully she remained calm and we eventually talked her into closing the drawer. We were trying all we could and couldn't reach anything to maneuver our way in!

Kristi said...

It was just a locked door. Anwyn knows how to unlock doors if she's behind it, so we haven't had any trapped children yet. I'm glad Caroline made it free!