Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Intimidating Squirrel

Out in the front of our condo complex there's a really large oak tree. It's right by the bus stop so I often stand underneath it and watch the squirrels run around. This morning there were 3 squirrels running up and down the tree. One kept clinging to the trunk of the tree and staring at me. Staring, I should say glaring. It looked like it was about to jump on me and attack me. Funny little squirrel. It looked like it was trying to intimidate me. Oh, so I acted all scared of it and begged for my life and the squirrel eventually left me alone, while I finished cowering underneath the bus stop bench. Actually, some of the squirrels around can be rather aggressive. I've had some scream at me - it's very funny to listen to.

The squirrel this morning reminded me of someone I talked with in clinic yesterday. He was fairly short, needed a transplant, and had served quite a few years in prison (I'm not saying the squirrel was like that). He kept trying to intimidate me (and my supervisor): "I wouldn't hurt myself but I could hurt you." Yeah, OK. Prison domination tactics don't work on me in my environment. I'm not a big guy by any means but I had 6 inches on this guy and he wasn't exactly in the best of health. He didn't really want to hurt us, he just had spent so many years in prison that he doesn't really know how to interact normally with people. He's the first anti-social person I've had to interview. I know why I don't want to ever work in a prison.

No comments: