Okay, so yesterday I gave a talk in sacrament meeting. It's a bit of a story about how I ended up speaking on a High Council Sunday. I was recently talking with our bishop, which is usually a dangerous prospect for anyone. Often the best thing to do is not make eye-contact and just go about your business - you know, kind of like a cat where you try to ignore the world around you: "If I can't see you, you can't see me." It's usually an effective way of avoiding speaking in church. Of course, that's not advice I generally follow (or recommend); I have the bad habit of saying things like, "I enjoy speaking in church. I'll fill in any time" (which statement is true).
Doing things like that also can result in multiple callings [When you move into a ward and meet with your bishop and say something like: "By the way bishop, I play the piano and organ" what calling do you think ensues? If you're thinking, "Well, obviously a music calling" you'd be wrong. A calling with the Young Men. Well, that was the first one but I did also get called to organist and choir pianist and random oh-Jared-can-you-play-for-this-function (so your music calling thought wasn't wrong in the end)? (I gladly do all callings)]. Anyway, so I had been talking with our bishop for a bit during church last Sunday and that night I receive a call from the Stake President (who happens to be in our ward). My first thought was, "There's no Priesthood Leadership meeting coming up, is there? I'm not getting a stake calling am I? What other meeting do they need me to play the piano or organ for?" Then I hear the words, "Would you like to speak in church this Sunday? [Much relief felt on my part - it's just a talk] It's the high council Sunday but the patriarch is actually speaking instead of a high councilor and we need someone to fill in for the companion speaker. I spoke with the bishop to see if he had any recommendations for a speaker and he gave me your name." As I said, it can be hazardous to speak with your bishop, unless you like speaking in church and enjoy having numerous callings (the bishop even - jokingly - asked if I wanted more callings).
2 comments:
It would have been great to hear you!
Hey guys! I am happy to find your blog. Bloggin has become a hobby of mine this year. We have a family blog as well as a cooking one I have put together. come check them out.
familytripp.blogspot.com
cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com
Your family is SO cute. Glad to catch up & see how you guys are!
Karyn Tripp
Post a Comment