Sunday, June 8, 2008

Completed Bathroom!

Well, the 1/2-way ambitious project is nearly complete after a big day of work yesterday (the 1/2-way ambitious project is referencing something my mom said when I told her I was redoing the bathroom; namely, "That sounds ambitious." Since it's only a 1/2 bath, I figured it's only 1/2-way ambitious). It was quite a bit of work. I laid the new tiles down on Friday night then grouted them about mid-day Saturday. I touched up a few places on the wall with paint and then started on the baseboards. We had a mitering saw we borrowed from a friend, which made the baseboard part much easier.

The baseboards are nearly 4" tall in order to cover some damaged wall near the bottom. Plus the baseboards sit on the floor beneath the level of the tile and need to be tall to cover the bottom of the wall. I would have preferred to have them just go on top of the tile but when the tile was put in whoever put it in didn't remove the baseboard and just tiled up to it; so there was a bit of a gap. Anyway, I put the new baseboard in and caulked around it to fill in gaps. It turned out pretty well. I put the new toilet in once things were dry and after I made another run to Lowe's for more supplies. I put the new vanity together (the box said it was "fully assembled" but I couldn't help thinking "I don't think that word ["fully"] means what you think it means" as I put it together). The vanity was actually sort of put-together, all I had to do was attach the legs, screw it to the wall, add the door knobs, then place the sink on top. I was surprised that the sink top didn't attach down to the base at all but the base is in place and the faucet and pipes will help hold the top in place.

Next I installed the faucet and got almost everything hooked up. The drainage pipes are not all put together because I reached that point at about 10:30 last night and decided I was done for the day. We think the bathroom looks nice. There certainly is more room in it without the monstrosity of the old sink and vanity. Tomorrow I will finish up the bathroom, except for the wall hardware (towel holder, toilet paper holder, and a shelf). It's been an educational project. We are grateful to have more room (and a much better-looking room) in our bathroom.

Before


After

3 comments:

Amy T said...

Very nice job. The half bath was among the first things we did in our house. The job started with stripping the brown pineapple-print wallpaper, and progressed from there. We put in a pedestal sink and a cupboard on the wall behind the toilet (same sort of layout as your bath).

I like the paint color; it's like the color we have in our laundry room.

Good job! Do you want to come do our master bath next? :-)

Tiffany said...

Hey--we should have had an ugly wallpaper contest (with samples from our former home)!

Your bathroom does look great! I really like the vanity you chose.

Kristi said...

Thanks for the comments! We certainly are enjoying our redone bathroom; that is if "enjoy" is the right word to use to describe a bathroom.