After making it suffer for a little bit more while I ran in and grabbed the camera so I could take some pictures and video, I tipped the garbage can and the armadillo slid out. It then sheepishly (or is it armadillo-ly?) walked away. Anwyn was excited that I was an animal rescuer just like Diego. I like to give animals (and people) the benefit of the doubt but when intelligence genes were being handed out the armadillos must have been practicing their 10 meter highway dash skills (which they are clearly still not very good at) instead of standing in line. The original armadillos must have been fans of Reaganomics and thought that it would apply to intelligence and genetically - it doesn't. Aside: armadillos jump straight up in the air when scared or startled, which doesn't bode well for the 10 pound critter when up is right into a 2000+ pound car traveling at more than 40 MPH.
Because it is quite fitting, I'm posting a poem I wrote a couple years ago (shortly after we moved to Florida) about an experience with an armadillo.
The day was new, the sun shone bright
When I saw the creature to my right.
She was scaly, she was on the ground
The critter was only looking down.
So I approached and paused to wait,
But in her movements she did not hesitate.
She looked for food, including bugs,
All the mammal wanted were tasty grubs.
I crept along, I drew near
But my walking she did not hear.
I made some noise, she finally saw
She contemplated, she wiggled her jaw.
And away she went, filled with woe,
That small inattentive armadillo.
They are cute and like the night
But alas, are not too bright.
Now I know why every day,
Dead armadillos adorn the highway.
When I saw the creature to my right.
She was scaly, she was on the ground
The critter was only looking down.
So I approached and paused to wait,
But in her movements she did not hesitate.
She looked for food, including bugs,
All the mammal wanted were tasty grubs.
I crept along, I drew near
But my walking she did not hear.
I made some noise, she finally saw
She contemplated, she wiggled her jaw.
And away she went, filled with woe,
That small inattentive armadillo.
They are cute and like the night
But alas, are not too bright.
Now I know why every day,
Dead armadillos adorn the highway.
Note: At one point in the video (when I lift up the garbage can) it sounds like I'm really straining or having a heart attack or something like that - I wasn't, the camera's microphone was just right up by my mouth so my breathing sounds really loud and labored. :)
6 comments:
What a funny armadillo--too bad he (or she!) got stuck! We see armadillos here, too (but only on the highway!). We learned this summer that armadillos can jump about 3 or 4 feet straight up in the air. I guess that didn't help this one.
Thanks for the comment Tiffany. Additionally, if anyone was wondering, I must have been modifying the post while Tiffany was writing her comment, which is why she wrote about armadillos jumping in the air too. :)
We saw quite a few squished armadillos on the road across the country. It is interesting to see one alive. Thanks for the post. By the way thank you for being the only person to read my blogs.
Dad
How did you get the border around your site? Thanks,
Dad
That is too too funny!! I've only seen the roadkill variety of armadillos, not one alive yet. Very cool that you got to see one up close and personal.
Great video! I heard that you guys were just like Diego, and that video proves it.
Post a Comment