I just watched one of the most incredible races ever! It was the final of the men's 4X100 freestyle relay at the Beijing Olympics. The French were the favorites but the Americans were ready to fight. The Americans looked really good for much of the race but the French pulled ahead late in the 3rd leg and were quite a bit ahead for most of the 4th leg. It looked like the gold medal dreams were over for the Americans (including the possibility for Michael Phelps to win 8 gold medals). However, U.S. swimmer Jason Lezak swam the race of his life. He swam his leg of the relay faster than anyone ever has. He was able to pull off the unbelievable - the Americans came from behind and won. They also beat the world record (which was set during a prelim race) by 4 seconds. Swimming world records are being set left and right at the Olympics.
The race was intense. I was on my feet throughout biting my nails (sorry Mom). When the Americans won I was jumping up and down (and crying - yes, I get emotional). I would have been yelling but it was pretty late and I didn't want to wake anyone. Not many things get me very excited but this race was simply amazing. Words can't even begin to describe it. If any of you missed the race - you have to watch it. I'm sure it will be all over the internet but NBCOlympics.com should have it up tomorrow.
2 comments:
Yay! We turned on the Olympics late (TV news is usually the only thing we watch on Sundays) and caught this race and the earlier one when Katie Hoff just lost the gold. Such exciting races! We weren't crying here--but it sure was intense!
Mike and I turned off the TV at about 10 so we missed the race here, but I made sure I watched it online this morning. AMAZING!!!!! I can't believe how much time Jason Lezak made up!
Post a Comment