Friday, May 23, 2008

Musings about Twilight

Well I finally gave in and read the Stephenie Meyer Twilight series (it also helped that I was sick and bed/couch-ridden for a number of days without much else useful to do). I was impressed, actually. They were well-written, if a little sappy, novels. The first was the most sappy of the three but they improved after that. Not that I don't mind a little sappiness but when it's leaking like a pine tree it's a little overboard. I have to say that I'm not quite sure who I want Bella to end up with. Edward certainly has wonderful traits and Bella really loves him but I can understand Jacob's position too.

Jacob is the werewolf. Werewolves in general don't have quite the uh, appeal that vampires do. Vampires usually just bite you and suck your blood (often portrayed as somewhat romantic at least) while a werewolf will just rip you apart (which isn't conducive to romance). But Bella and Jacob are really good friends. Jacob makes Bella happy in a way that Edward just can't. To be fair, Edward makes Bella happy in a way that Jacob can't but Edward and Bella's relationship just isn't the same as Bella and Jacob's relationship is. I'd have a tough choice too if I was in Bella's shoes. If Bella ended up choosing Jacob I really could understand and respect her choice. At this point I think I'm rooting for Edward though.

A wonderful link was forwarded to us the other day: http://mormonhusbands.blogspot.com/2008/02/twilight-series-for-dummies-and-totally.html. The blog is hilarious and very well-written. It's quickly become a favorite read.

If you haven't read them yet they are worth a read. I can't say that they are my favorite novels but they're good. I wouldn't mind owning them but I wouldn't rush out and buy them without looking for a sale (of course, I do that for pretty much everything so that's not saying much). The other great thing about the novels is that the author is LDS and a BYU graduate - it's always good to support a fellow BYU grad (if they deserve it; I mean I wouldn't support a BYU alumnus who ran a drug dealing business, not that there are very many I'm sure).

One thing I thought was interesting was how Stephenie Meyer kept alluding to a band in her books without ever using their name. If you now what her taste in music is then you know who the band is without her having to name them. It's Muse, of course. I was exposed to them within the past 6 months or so. They are one of the most fabulous bands ever. Seriously. Some of their music is way over-board (but then were some Beatles' songs/tracks) and it takes some time to get used to their style but once I did I fell in love with their music. It can be a little heavy - just as a warning - but the musicality of their songs is way up there. At least some of the band members have classical training. One of their songs Butterflies and Hurricanes actually has a piano part that reminds me of Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto. Another great thing is that most of their songs are very clean and free from bad language. Anyway, Muse is the band that Stephenie Meyer alludes to but never names in her books (you can also kind-of pick it up if you read her acknowledgements at the end of the books).

No comments: