Saturday, May 31, 2008

Dolls, Dragons, and Pots

We have a few nice decorations for our home from the places we've lived or visited. The first image is a picture of our Kachina. Kachina is a Hopi word meaning "life bringer." Kachina dolls are made to represent the various Kachina spirits. My parents got us this doll a few years ago for Christmas. Here's our Kachina holding a watermelon and a knife.


We lived in Utah for the first years of our marriage. Kristi used to work for a service organization in Utah and we got to go on one trip down to southeast Utah. She received this nice pot from the people down there (it's certainly not authentic Native American make but it reminds us of the desert and beautiful Utah).


In September 2007 I attended a conference in Cardiff, Wales (yes, I actually went to most of the conference and didn't just sight-see). Wales is the land of sheep and dragons. It's a land of mythology and history. At one gift shop I saw the cutest little Tic-Tac-Toe set (pictured below). They also had a similar chess set but it was about $80, a little too much for me. Anyway, I purchased this delightful little set (it was hand-made in Wales). I love the cute little dragons and sheep. It even made it home on the airplane(s) in one piece. Well, technically it's not one piece but none of the pieces broke.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love the dragons and sheep! What a fun decoration!

Jan said...

Those are great and unique souvenirs and deocrations. They have great stories behind them!