Then I went to college. At BYU I lived with some huge football fans (my friends weren't huge physically, they were for the most part just fans of BYU sports). My love of BYU football started in 1998 as a Freshman. After serving an LDS mission I went back to BYU. Their football team was really good in 2001 - with Brandon Doman and Luke Staley as stars of the team. I was hooked. I never went to many games in person but I followed the games and watched them on TV as often as possible.
In 2006 we moved from one college town to another - Provo, UT to Gainesville, FL. We didn't quite know what we were getting ourselves into. For 4 months every Fall life revolves around college football. Church activities are scheduled around football so people show up.
The University of Florida has a Homecoming holiday. Traffic is usually horrendous whenever there are home games. We usually just stay home on game days to avoid the traffic. For really big games, like the one today between UF and LSU, we have an invasion of RVs.Back in 2006 UF won the National Championship in football (and

men's basketball, but that was before we got here). They also won men's basketball in 2007. We really got thrown into the thick of college football coming here to the SEC and to a school with a very good football program. People live and breathe football here. It rubs off and now we're huge UF football fans (at least I am, Kristi isn't as into it as I am). But if UF and BYU ever played, we would cheer for BYU. Go Cougars!
1 comment:
I remember when Eliza was a freshman she bought football tickets with a big group of students from the dorms. (Eliza: correct me if I'm wrong!) I thought that was a fun idea, but never did that when I got to school. So I've never been to a BYU football game. But, that's going to change this week because Alan and I are going with a group down to BYU v. TCU on Thursday night! Pretty fun!
Post a Comment