Monday, July 28, 2008

Jared's Recent Activities

This is a different type of post for our blog but we like to keep people on the edge of their seat: "What crazy thing will Jared post next?" I'm down to the last 1.5 weeks of my neuroanatomy course (it lasts for a total of 6 weeks, with 20-30 hours spent weekly in class or in the lab, not including studying). It's been the hardest but best class I've ever taken in college (excluding my excellent religion courses at BYU - they weren't difficult but they really were the best classes). I've really enjoyed the gross anatomy portions. I always tell myself that studying the brain should be easy because I get to use my brain to help me understand neuroanatomy. The brain is something that just becomes more beautiful the more you study it; well, I can only really speak for myself. As an aside (what's a post by me without an aside?), the brain is what drew me to psychology. I wanted to post on of my favorite pictures of the brain (if anyone is squeamish, I apologize in advance - there's no blood). I'll make the thumbnail small (you can click on it to see the full-size picture) just in case. Anyway, the following picture shows the main visual pathway from the optic nerve/chiasm/tract on back to the cortex.


I think the picture is beautiful; I love the dissection. The white matter pathways near the back of the brain (at the bottom of the photo) are called optic radiations.
The funny thing about brain anatomy is before you spend time with it it's easy to look at brain slices or MRIs and wonder how anyone can see anything in them. Sometimes it is hard but you get used to it. Pretty soon you can see all the different nuclei and many of the pathways. There's great beauty and symmetry in the brain. As I sit in class or lab and study the brain I often think of what Alma told Korihor (in the Book of Mormon): "All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it" (Alma 30:44). It's not often that a course taught at a major public university strengthens my testimony of God and the gospel.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

One of my most memorable classes at BYU was Human Anatomy (with lab). I am so glad that I was on a science track early on (before switching majors) and took this class. It was an amazing opportunity--with a lot of work.

Jan said...

That's a really awesome picture with a lot of detail. It really is amazing to think of the miracles of our body! Good luck with the class...I thought mine was time-consuming but you've got me beat!

Amy T said...

Have you ever watched any of the procedures on or-live.com? It looks like the last Neurological/Neurosurgical broadcast that's not part of their Brain Tumor board or a lecture is a Deep Brain Stimulation at Vanderbilt using some new techniques. Prior to that, you get things like Transnasal Endoscopic Surgery For Skull-Based Tumors, or Right Frontal Craniotomy Performed With Image Guidance.

Besides CHOP, the other top pediatric cardiology center is Children's Hospital Boston. Last fall before Daniel's cath and second surgery, I watched two broadcasts from Boston. The first was a cath to replace a pulmonary valve and the second was a repair of a complex congenital defect similar to Dan's.

I wondered before watching if it would be better or worse to know exactly what Daniel would be going through, but in my case it is definitely better. After getting past the "yuck" factor, it was quite fascinating. The amazing human body.

Jared said...

Thanks for reminding me about the OR-Live site. I know you've told me about it before but I never looked at it. I've always wanted to see a DBS (if I asked, I'd be able to watch one live here) - they are used for treating Parkinson's Disease (and sometimes OCD and other disorders - by the latter are more experimental). Thanks for the comment.