Friday, February 6, 2009

Jared's Random Musings About College Memories and Journals

Ok, this post will be completely random but I wanted to write a bit about writing in journals. I've kept a journal on and off for many years. My freshman year of college I was really good at writing in it. I also have copies of every (or most) email that I sent to my family during that time (thanks Mom and Dad). I learned some things from these old emails (which are just supplements to my journal).

Can you spot me in the Homecoming Parade?

1. I did a standing long jump of 105 inches in ROTC (that's 2.81908144 × 10-16 light years).
2. This is how I wrote about my Book of Mormon class: "My class with Pres. Bateman is dual taught by himself and some other guy named Millet (?)." What an intro! I quickly learned to love Bro. Millet's teaching. He was better than Pres. Bateman, actually, although Pres. Bateman was very good too. On a side note, I once had to have a field trip form signed by any professors whose classes I would miss. I went up to Pres. Bateman after class to ask if he would sign the form. He responded (as he signed it), "I don't know if I can sign this." He has a great sense of humor.
3. Shortly into my first semester of college, I wrote, "Today I got to sleep in! I only had to wake up at about 6:20 instead of 5:20." ROTC liked getting us going early.
4. For some reason impressing girls was pretty important.
5. Try to eat some food if you are about to march around in formation and stand at attention otherwise you might faint (no, I wasn't locking my knees). You also say such brilliant things when you come to and are asked how you are doing, such as, "My mouth hurts." :)
6. If you are in engineering you spend a lot of time in the computer lab, especially late at night.
7. Don't run down BYU library stairs and sprain your ankle. It takes a long time to fully recover.
8. Cute 3-year-olds are popular at Ward Prayer.
9. The vision in one of my eyes was 20/13. I don't know if it still is.
10. A 41% on a physics test was a C.

It really wasn't that cold out.

College was fun. Oh, wait; I'm still in college. I don't think it's quite as fun after 8.5 years and counting. :) It's more rewarding though.

The photo that was taken when I checked into Tingey Hall, where I lived freshman year.

I'm glad that I've kept what journal I have over the years. I think that's one reason I like blogging; it's like a journal. It's maybe not as personal (hopefully not that personal!) but still a record of life. Without a journal, we'd forget so much of our lives, unless you happen to have a perfect episodic memory system.

I know we look pretty scruffy, or is it manly? :) We (Eric, Ben, and myself) had just climed Squaw Peak, mostly at night, in the snow (hence the wet pants). It was very cold; of course, we weren't dressed that warmly.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That was fun! I wasn't in town for your college life (a fact I'm pretty sure you're thankful for)--so it's always fun to hear background stories like this.

Clean Cut said...

I know you don't know me but I stumbled upon your blog and it was fun to be transported back to my freshman year at BYU. (I lived in Budge Hall). How was it taking a class from Brother Millet? I never had a class with him but I've come to admire his writings more and more in recent years and have been especially impressed with his interfaith dialogue with Greg Johnson.

You have a beautiful family...