Ok, maybe it's not the best but as a search that brought someone to my psychology blog, it's pretty good. Last April Fool's Day I wrote a post about the first successful brain transplant. I regularly receive visitors to my blog based on searches that are a variation on the theme of "successful brain transplant." Here's the search that brought someone to my blog tonight and had me actually laughing out loud:
neurosurgeon brain transplant contact list
Ok, maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's funny but we're nowhere close to doing brain transplants (not that general people would necessarily know that but still...). We've just recently barely been "successful" with face transplants. The brain is much more complex. Scientists have only just barely started having some success in transplanting (implanting) a few stem cells into lesioned areas of animals and having the cells wire up aparently correctly. Then there is the ethics of a brain transplant. That's a whole other discussion.
Anyway, I got a good chuckle out of the search terms (especially as I tried to imagine why someone was searching those terms). Maybe it wasn't funny, maybe they knew someone who had severe brain injury and can't function any more. But maybe it was someone who didn't like their brain that much and wanted a new one. It was just funny because most of the other searches that lead people to my psychology blog are more boring (e.g., "word superiority effect" or "hippocampal volume over time").
1 comment:
Some days I would be happy for a brain transplant, but I would have to approve the new brain before going in for the surgery. :)
Post a Comment